Friday, November 16, 2012

THIS IS CERTAINLY REASSURING:  Supposedly libertarian legal site believes that a state only has the right to secede if the other states agree to it.  If I'm consenting to be governed, professor, then I can fucking well withdraw that consent.  We are a country born in revolution, in a desire to be free of tyranny.  If a sufficient number of a state's residents have decided that they want to be free of the tyranny of the ever-expanding federal government, I certainly support them in their quest.  Professor Volokh may--or may not--be correct that more states benefit from the union than not, but a) I suspect a lot of people thought that about the USSR, too; b) I think this exhibits a distinct failure of imagination (what does, say, Texas really gain from the union that it could not do itself?  What does Texas offer the union, such as a vast natural resources, that the union would probably still be happy to trade with Texas for?), and c) that ought not be anyone's decision to make except Texans'.  Self-determination and all that.  I love the commenters, though, who assume there would be a massive brain drain of people emigrating from Texas.  Because Republicans are obviously TEH STOOPID.  Also, Republicans obviously will agree to pay no taxes whatsoever, so Texas will necessarily go broke quickly.

I left comments there, then I remembered that arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still a fucking retard.  So, I stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment